Sunday, March 8, 2015

Contractions, Hospital Visits, and Days off School...Oh My!

We have had a whirlwind week and a half!  As I mentioned in my last post Josh and Andy were sick with a stomach virus last weekend.  They were getting better Monday and Tuesday, and it was at this point that I started with a cold.  I prayed that it would just be a cold, but it turned into much more.

Tuesday (3/4/15) I woke up not feeling well- stuffy nose, achy, and overall feeling blah.  I had an IEP meeting at school so I powered through and got ready.  After my meeting I started feeling better, however later in the day I started feeling worse.  In addition to my other symptoms, my back was sore and I had a lot of pressure from the baby.  It crossed my mind that I was going into labor but didn't think it would happen.  After school I left ASAP and got Josh, then parked myself on the couch for the evening.  Around 5pm the contractions started.  After a call to Ashley, she directed me to drink some water and lay down.  Unfortunately this didn't help and the contractions continued.  I called the doctor on call, and he directed me to drink a lot of water (8 glasses), relax, and if the contractions didn't slow down that I needed to head to the hospital.  We got Josh to bed and waited a while longer.  Then around 9 Andy decided time was up and we needed to go to the hospital.  Jim came over and off we went.  They got me up to labor and delivery pretty quickly.  Next they had me change, give a urine sample, then started various tests.  I was about 3 to 4 cm dilated and the contractions continued.  They started an IV and gave me some medicine to try to stop the contractions.  At some point, its all a little blurry now, the nurse informed me that they were going to keep me over night and continue to try to stop labor.  It was determined that dehydration and impending illness set me into inactive labor.  Neither of us got great sleep, but my contractions slowed over night.  The doctor came in around 9am and checked me again.  Still 4 cm dilated and 100% effaced.  He told us that if they couldn't get the contractions to stop that we might be staying longer and having the baby.  As the stomach virus was setting in and contractions slowly continued, we were moved to a delivery room.  Through the day the contractions mostly stopped and by about 4 the doctor checked me, finding no progress.  He suggested we head home if we were comfortable with that.  I was getting more uncomfortable and was happy to go home to recover from the virus.  I stayed home from work through the rest of the week to rest and recover.  Andy and I both agreed that we would never wish that virus on anyone!

Friday I had my regularly scheduled appointment with Dr. Scott.  She did the test for Group B Strep and checked me, still no progress.  I asked if I could return to work Monday.  She was hesitant, but after I told her that start testing would be starting and I could sit a lot, she agreed.  As I've started to feel better this weekend, I have pushed myself to get up and do things.  It didn't take much pushing, I was tired of sitting so much.  However, it has become evident that the modified bed rest is necessary and I will have to take it easy until I regain more strength or baby girl makes her arrival.

We are hoping for an uneventful couple of weeks before baby's arrival!

No comments:

Post a Comment