Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Adjusting to Parenthood

We have had Joshua home for  just over 2 weeks now.  The 4 of us (Agger included) have adjusted pretty well to being home.  The day after we got home, we had to take Joshua to his pediatrician since he will be seeing a different doctor from the one he saw in the hospital.  After going to the wrong doctors office and then realizing the correct one is further away than anticipated, we met Dr. Geddes.  We agreed he is worth the drive.  The nurse weighed and measured Joshua.  He weighed in at 7lbs 1 oz and 20 in long.  The nurse couldn't believe he would have shrunk an inch and tried a few methods.  We soon remembered that right after Joshua was born he had quite the cone-head and since then it had rounded out.  The appointment went well and we will go back when Joshua is 2 months old.  The following day we had an appointment at the postpartum clinic.  Andy and I had anticipated this being a free,casual visit as the nurses made it sound.  However, we had to officially check-in to the hospital and insurance will be billed for it.  Once we got back to the room we were glad we kept the appointment.  The nurse checked Joshua again, answered a bunch of our questions, and gave some breastfeeding tips.  She weighed Joshua, had me feed him, then weighed him again.  We found out we have a good little eater on our hands.

For the most part, Joshua is a good sleeper and really doesn't cry much.  He often turns red in the face and looks as the a tantrum is about to ensue; but he quickly calms down and returns to being the happy baby that he is.  My days...well and my nights too, revolve around feeding Joshua.  I'm slowly getting a routine down and feeling less overwhelmed.

We have had various family and friends come to visit which has given me something to look forward to.  My mom came to stay for 2 days to help out.  She was great about cooking, cleaning, and of course taking care of Joshua so I could do a few things.  Mom also got me out of the house for a few hours which was truly needed.  I've been a little stir-crazy being in the house so much.

I'm sad to think that I only have 4 weeks left of my maternity leave.  I'm grateful that Andy and his mom will be able to watch Joshua while I'm at work; but I dread having to leave him.  Waterproof mascara will be a must on February 27th when I return to work.

Here are a few more pictures of Joshua.





No comments:

Post a Comment